With the election only two days away, we want to share the positions taken by the different political parties on home ownership with you.
OREA and our local real estate boards distributed surveys to provincial candidates at the beginning of the campaign asking them about their ideas to keep the Canadian dream of home ownership affordable for families and their views on the REALTOR® Platform for Home Ownership.
What is the Platform for Home Ownership?
OREA’s Platform for Home Ownership was launched late last year at our annual Ontario REALTOR® Party Conference. It encouraged all political parties to support affordable home ownership in their 2018 election platforms. Here are the policy planks that we asked parties to adopt:
- Increase the First-Time Home Buyer Land Transfer Tax (LTT) rebate to $6,000 and index with inflation.
- Instead of introducing mandatory home energy audits, reinvest those funds ($250 million) into targeted green retrofits.
- Introduce a provincially backed loan program for middle-class families that would match the amount a first-time buyer has saved for a down payment (up to $37,500).
- Remove the red tape that delays new housing supply from being built.
- Give REALTORS® the ability to incorporate in Ontario.
What were the parties’ responses to the platform?
The three main political parties prepared responses and submitted them on behalf of their candidates to OREA. Here is the summary of the responses OREA received from the Ontario Liberal Party, Ontario New Democratic Party, and Ontario Progressive Conservative Party:
You can read each of the responses from the political parties by clicking here:
In some ridings, candidates from the Green Party, Trillium Party and Libertarian Party filled out the surveys and returned them to OREA. We have sent these local responses to our boards for their reference and to distribute to members.
Don’t forget to vote!
This election will help shape the future of our province, your business, and the industry as a whole. It is important that our voice is heard. Please take the time to vote on June 7th.
After you do, please encourage your fellow REALTORS® to vote by visiting www.ontariorealtorparty.com/vote, sharing our social media posts and using the hashtag #ONREALTORSvote.
See you at the polls on Thursday!
On June 7th we are encouraging all Ontario REALTORS® to get out the vote. Change your facebook profile to show REALTOR® support and how strong our voice is at Queens Park. www.facebook.com/profilepicframes OREA GOTV #ONREALTORSvote