With the Ontario legislature set to return on September 12th, we preview some of the issues and changes REALTORS® can expect to see this fall:
- New Home Inspector Licensing: The Minister of Government and Consumer Services, the Honourable Marie-France Lalonde, recently announced legislation that would see the licensing of home inspectors. This legislation is scheduled to be introduced and debated in the legislature this fall. OREA looks forward to the introduction of this important legislation which will provide greater consumer protection for Ontario home buyers.
- New Ministers: This will be the first legislature sitting for Cabinet Ministers in their new roles after the shuffle last June. It will also be the first chance for the opposition to ask Ministers questions about their new portfolios. Notably for real estate, it will be the first Question Period for the Honourable Marie-France Lalonde as Minister of Government and Consumer Services; the Honourable Chris Ballard as Minister of Housing; as well as the Honourable Glenn Thibeault as Minister of Energy.
- New Scarborough-Rouge River MPP: After the resignation of Bas Balkissoon last March, there will be a new MPP representing the riding of Scarborough-Rouge River. Candidates vying for the seat include Piragal Thiru running for the Liberals; Raymond Cho running for the Progressive Conservatives; and Neethan Shan running for the New Democrats. The by-election is set to take place today.
- Ottawa Vanier By-election: The seat for Ottawa-Vanier has been vacant since the Honourable Madeleine Meilleur resigned in June. Although a date for the by-election has not yet been set, the Premier must call the by-election before December. Claude Bisson will be running for the NDP; neither the Liberals nor the PCs have chosen a candidate.
- Niagara West- Glanbrook: Tim Hudak, OREA’s incoming CEO, will be resigning as an MPP in mid-September. This means that a by-election will be called for the riding of Niagara West- Glanbrook.
Stay tuned to OREA’s GR blog for more updates on these by-elections.