Young professionals are the future of the real estate business. However, in a field where the average age is over 50, younger REALTORS® often strive for a way to connect with each other and tap into valuable resources that will help them succeed in business.
Did you know that over eight out of ten REALTORS® in Ontario are 40 years of age or older?
Did you know that 15% of OREA’s membership, approximately 7,500 members, are under the age of 40? (Source: 2010 OREA Member Profile Study)
When we project these numbers forward over the next 10 years, a significant portion of our membership will reach retirement age and OREA’s membership will shifting towards a younger demographic. It is vital that the association be responsive to the needs of young members and begins to groom our next generation of leaders.
As your President, it was one of my personal goals this year to reach out to the youth of OREA’s membership and get them more involved in their provincial association. I am pleased to announce that OREA will be creating a working group to develop our own Young Professionals Network, commonly referred to as YPN.
The purpose of OREA’s YPN will be as follows:
- To provide young professionals with a voice and link to their provincial association.
- To facilitate opportunities for involvement in association leadership through education and networking.
- To encourage participation in the association’s activities and committees.
- To enable young professionals with an opportunity to connect with each other and tap into valuable resources that will help them succeed in business.
- To assist OREA with identifying and delivering services to address the unique needs of young professionals and new members.
I’m now asking for your assistance to make this initiative successful. As young REALTORS® who are the rising talent of our profession I’d like to invite you to volunteer and participate in the creation of OREA’s YPN by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to working with you!