Did you know carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning kills over 50 people every year in Canada? Carbon monoxide it a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas that results when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood have insufficient air to burn completely. CO exposure can cause flu-like symptoms including: headaches, nausea, dizziness, confusion, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness. In higher concentrations and when left undetected, CO can result in death.
To keep consumers safe, the Government of Ontario has introduced new requirements to help protect Ontarians against carbon monoxide poisoning by requiring all homes to have carbon monoxide alarms. The new regulation, which came into effect October 15, updates Ontario’s Fire Code.
“We want Ontarians to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning because these tragedies are preventable. The change to the Fire Code is all about making sure we keep our families and homes safe. I urge all Ontarians to install a carbon monoxide alarm in their homes immediately,” said Yasir Naqvi, Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services, responsible for the Fire Code.
Carbon monoxide detectors will now be required near all sleeping areas in residential homes and in the service rooms, and adjacent sleeping areas in multi-residential units. Carbon monoxide alarms can be hardwired, battery-operated or plugged into the wall. They range in price from about $25-$100
For more information please visit the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services’ website.
Leave a Reply