Making time for balanced living is easier said than done, especially in a career such as real estate. Yet, if you are looking for a long and rewarding real estate career, you will need to live a balanced life in which real estate plays an important role but not the only role.
Following are tips about what you can do to lead a more balanced lifestyle.
Make family a priority
Regardless of what else happens, create time for your family by:
• Setting aside a specific time frame each day to spend with your family
• Giving your family your full attention during this time
• Scheduling weekly family nights
• Scheduling family days where you spend the entire day with family and do nothing related to work
You may still prospect while enjoying a day out with the family. Just ensure the family is your priority.
Make your own schedule
The advantage of being in real estate is the ability to set your own hours. Be mindful of clients’ schedules, but do not be afraid to tell clients you have a prior commitment.
Plan your day in advance
At the end of each day, prepare a ‘to do’ list for the following day, and arrange tasks in order of priority (i.e., identify and complete the urgent task first). Use the following time-saving techniques:
• group together similar tasks, such as preparing materials for hosting several upcoming open houses, revising all website content at the same time, or updating photos to spring from winter for listings that have not yet sold
• if you work from home, try to ensure your workspace remains yours alone
• keep a ‘notes list’ to record items that come up that require you to take action
In addition, set timelines and stick to them. At the same time, be flexible and allow for and expect interruptions. If you are interrupted, get back to your tasks as soon as possible.
Take care of yourself
Take care of yourself by eating well, exercising, and getting enough sleep. When you are tired and/or not feeling well, even the smallest problem may seem like a nightmare.
Feeling good about your health will produce a new outlook on your life, and provide you with more energy to handle all types of issues that may arise.
Turn off your cell phone and other communication devices during family time. Change your voice mail/email messages to indicate you are not available until a certain time.
Team up with colleagues
Teaming up with colleagues will ensure your calls and emergencies are covered while you are out of the office. Reciprocate this favour when a colleague is away from the office.
Give yourself a daily reminder
Remind yourself on a daily basis how valuable the time is that you spend with your spouse and family.
Share a tip on how you balance work and family life.