The following is the second instalment in a series of tips on showing professionalism. Here are seven ways to demonstrate your professionalism to real estate colleagues.
- Never bad-mouth another salesperson. Although real estate is a competitive business, you should always speak respectfully about other REALTORS®.
- Always take the high road. If a seller you’ve been contacting decides to list with somebody else, respect that decision. A professional attitude on your part will generate more business in the future than sniping about the competition in the here and now.
- Identify yourself right away when speaking to other salespeople about a property. Always make sure to tell them you are a real estate salesperson rather than a member of the public.
- Direct all enquiries regarding terms, conditions, or price of a property to the listing salesperson. Do not discuss these points directly with the seller if you are not their sales representative.
- Follow proper channels. Always request an appointment to show a property through the listing brokerage or salesperson. Don’t call the owner unless the listing firm has given prior permission.
- Receive private calls through your cell phone or home phone to avoid tying up the office telephone or administrative staff.
- When dropping off or picking up courtesy keys, be timely. If you are going to be late or must cancel, call the other representative(s) to let them know.
These tips are excerpted from A Mentoring Kit for New Salespeople, produced by the OREA Real Estate College.