One of the hallmarks of professionalism is not only how well you do your job; it’s how well you treat people as you’re doing your job.
As a salesperson, you are a member of a trained profession. As such, whomever you interact with expects you to behave accordingly. This includes your colleagues, members of the public, especially clients and customers, and your regulatory body, the Real Estate Council of Ontario (RECO).
Following are some basic ‘DOs’ and ‘DON’Ts’ of working professionally with your colleagues. Stay tuned for future blogs where we will examine guidelines for working professionally with members of the public, and complying with the RECO Code of Ethics.
● Employ proper telephone etiquette: keep your messages short, speak slowly and clearly, leave your full name, brokerage name, return number, and an appropriate time to call you back
● Check your voice mail and email messages often and promptly return all messages
● Contact your colleague if you cannot keep a scheduled appointment or are going to be late
● Identify yourself as a salesperson when speaking to another salesperson about a property
● Request an appointment to show a property through the listing firm or salesperson
● Direct all enquiries regarding terms, conditions, or price of a property to the listing salesperson
● Advise all co-operating brokerages of the compensation they will receive upon successful conclusion of the transaction before they show your listing
● Be courteous and respectful
● Deal with problems with another salesperson in a timely manner and consult management when a problem develops
● Make disparaging remarks about other salespeople/the competition
● Try to take a client away from another salesperson
● Contact another salesperson’s client directly, for any reason, unless you have permission to do so
● Discuss terms, conditions, or price of a property with another salesperson’s seller
For More Information
For more information on professionalism, please consult our A Mentoring Kit for New Salespeople: Training For Success at ttp://www.oreacollegestore.com/ShowItem.aspx?ItemID=LT-PB-MentoringKit&Design=false&CurrentTab=divCatLearningTools. This is a valuable resource for both brokers and salespeople.
Do you have any additional points to add to our ‘DOs’ and ‘DON’Ts’ list? Please let us know.