“Your career success in the workplace of today – independent of technical expertise – depends on the quality of your people skills.” Max Messmer, author, entrepreneur
Having exceptional people skills is vital in the real estate profession. Conducting yourself in a professional manner can and does lead to more business opportunities.
Notwithstanding being honest and respectful – these are a given – what does ‘being professional’ mean in the world of real estate? Here are a few reminders…
● Make a good first impression – dress appropriately, be clean and neat in your personal appearance
● Explain the different types of services available and the difference between client and customer status
● Disclose, in writing, the nature of the services you will be providing including the possibility of multiple representation and get them to sign the appropriate form (such as OREA’s Working With a REALTOR® brochure)
● Have a written representation agreement with the buyer or seller and explain the obligations imposed under it
● Provide your seller client with a well-researched and documented competitive market analysis
● Advise your seller clients of any need for repairs or improvements to make their home more saleable
● Advise your buyer clients to get pre-qualified for financing; showing homes they cannot afford is frustrating
● Refer clients to outside experts when needed
● Arrange for a substitute to cover for you if you are going to be out of town or unavailable
● Give advice outside your area of expertise
● Overstate a property’s value to get a listing
● Make an oral agreement (they’re not binding)
● Persuade or tell your clients what to do or make decisions for them
● Advise your buyer client to submit an offer without a home inspection condition
● Disclose information about your client
● Be ambiguous – explain, explain, explain (and make sure they understand)
For More Information
For more information on professionalism, please consult our A Mentoring Kit for New Salespeople: Training For Success at http://www.orea.com/index.cfm/ci_id/14362/la_id/1.htm. This is a valuable resource for both brokers and salespeople.
Do you have any additional points to add to our DOs and DON’Ts list? Let us know.
Leave a Reply